Monsters of Aularia

Serving as town hall, fort, and inn all in one, the Broken Compass is a staple of Banner Rest. This board is for postings and role-play which take place in the town proper.
Jo
JoellenO

Monsters of Aularia

Postby JoellenO » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:52 pm

Dear town,

I am composing a small book of creatures that have threatened Aularia that we have witnessed, and am looking for information on any of them. Know weaknesses, tactics that can be used against them, dangers they pose, etc. Examples include constructs, red caps, undead, spiders, bees, the centipede, etc. Any information is welcomed.

Thank you.
Seras Andromeda Lux.
Seras Andromeda Lux, Priestess of Jaejal
Bait, fuckin awesome stabber of everything.
MW
MWilson

Re: Monsters of Aularia

Postby MWilson » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:28 pm

Making Redcaps sleep or using magical effects to calm them seems to reduce the threat that they pose. Their ability to charm and bewilder townsfolk can be resisted with effort and practice. If a townsperson is charmed or bewildered, it can be effective to disable or immobilize that person if possible instead of simply attacking them.

When the Centipedes start to burrow, they aren't attacking anyone. That might be a good time to run up and attack it a lot more if we want to actually kill it instead of just letting it run away to heal.

When Grobs (be they Skum or Ogres or others) come up from the tunnels, PLEASE don't immediately antagonize them. They are often (not always) helpful and they can often (not always) be dealt with peacefully instead of having to fight them.

Holy attacks are especially good against undead (including ghosts and dead spirits). Holy attacks don't seem to be any more effective than regular physical attacks against being that come from *elsewhere* (abyssals, extraplanar critters, visitors from beyond, Fae beasts, Daeva, etc). If you are attacking something and it does not appear to be hurt at all by your attacks, it's possible that giving your weapons an elemental quality such as Holy or Acid or Fire may allow you to hurt the being that you need to put down. Ulgrim, Octavian and I (Soshi Tatsu) can imbue individual weapons with a Holy aura. Others may be able to imbue weapons with another trait such as fire or cold, etc.

If you have an enemy's full attention, fight defensively. Try to focus your efforts on not being hit. If you are being ignored by an enemy, you may strike them quickly and hard without fear of immediate attack. We often outnumber our enemies in town. If you see an enemy's attention completely occupied, move in to attack them even if you do have have special skills in fighting. Every sword blow counts.

There are many people in town who will be happy to teach proficiency in both small and large shields. If you wish to learn shield work, contact any of the ministers in town and they can direct you to someone who will be happy to teach you. If payment is needed for that teaching, I will provide that payment because I would like to see more of the town able to stay standing after an attack. We have seen too many good people die already. Sometimes monthly.

-Soshi Tatsu.
Jo
JoellenO

Re: Monsters of Aularia

Postby JoellenO » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:05 pm

I actually can in fact use a small shield, I simply don't own one. And as someone who has died four months in a row now, j do appreciate the offer. This book should hopefully serve as a guide for helping plan defensive strategies and as a general help against monsters for those who might not know them well.

-Seras
Seras Andromeda Lux, Priestess of Jaejal
Bait, fuckin awesome stabber of everything.

Return to “The Broken Compass”